What is Live.Work.Detroit.?
Live.Work.Detroit. (LWD) is an initiative to connect Michigan’s college graduates to new opportunities in Detroit and promote the city as a post-graduation talent destination. The program exists on two levels:
1) LWD is a day-long event in Detroit that serves as an opportunity for graduating students to learn about living/working in the city. Not one event is the same, but each event includes an employer networking segment to help connect graduating talent with Detroit’s hiring employers.
2) LWD On Campus efforts to promote Detroit and Live.Work.Detroit. through our Student Ambassadors program. For more information, contact us! Opportunities are also available for students to get involved as Live.Work.Detroit. Student Ambassadors.
What is a Live.Work.Detroit. Student Ambassador? How do I become one?
Live.Work.Detroit. need agents in the field to help spread the word about the Motor City and Live.Work.Detroit. events. That’s why the MEDC is recruiting LWD Student Ambassadors on campuses across the nation. If you answer “yes” to these questions you may be LWD Student Ambassador material:
- Are you a leader on campus, at work or in the school community?
- Do you believe Detroit has great opportunity and a bright future?
- Do you like to collaborate with others, be challenged, and make a positive difference?
- Do you enjoy promoting meaningful causes to your peers?
- Are you ready for the opportunity to think creatively and help build an initiative from the ground up with other student leaders?
For more information, visit: www.mitalent.org/Student-Ambassador
What is the format of a typical LWD event?
No one event is the same! This academic year, LWD will host several different events in Detroit. Join us for tours of the best places to live, work and play in Detroit. Along the way, you’ll meet community leaders, entrepreneurs, and professionals who call the city home. Each event includes a career networking session with hiring employers. We invite you to be a part of the exciting buzz that is re-charging Detroit!
What is the attire for a Live.Work.Detroit. event?
Business or “snappy” casual dress is appropriate. Above all, you should dress comfortably (including comfortable shoes!) considering you’ll be moving about most of the day.
What should I bring?
We recommend you bring your resume even though you should have emailed it to Jobs@dhivedetroit.org as part of your registration. If you have not sent your resume, please do so now. If you have a business card, it would be fine to bring that. You will also want to bring your ID. Lunch, dinner and non-alcoholic beverages will be provided at no charge during the event.
Are there other programs like this one available? I want to find a job.
There are several talent enhancement programs and services available. Please see our website to learn more about them at www.mitalent.org. To search for jobs and post your resume, visit: www.hiremi.org.
Who should attend a Live.Work.Detroit. event?
College students, graduate students, community college students, recent graduates, and young professionals who are interested in being part of Detroit’s development and revitalization–innovators, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and more – and most importantly, connect with hiring employers! Sophomores and freshmen are welcome to attend to learn about internship opportunities.
Is there a fee for me to attend a Live.Work.Detroit. event? How much does it cost?
There is a $15 registration fee to attend. Early-bird registration is $10 and varies by event date.
There is a $10 registration fee for employers to attend a Live.Work.Detroit. event.
Do I need to provide my own transportation to and from the event in Detroit?
There will be designated meeting locations to board busses to Detroit. Bus locations will depend on registration levels/geography of registrants. The busses will return you back to the meeting location. You will need to provide your own transportation to and from the meeting location.
How do I register for a Live.Work.Detroit. event?
To register for an event, please visit www.dhivedetroit.org/liveworkdetroit for the registration link.
What do I do if I receive a registration error?
If you receive a registration error, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to assist you in the registration process.